- On the work-and-school front: Design shop hiring worker/owner in Berkeley or Boston; women, PoC, & LGBTIQQ encouraged. Also, there’s a $10K scholarship now available for female undergraduates studying game design.
- An oldie but a pretty-goodie: YouTube – Video Games and the Female Audience. (One could wish the narrator had let his guest actually speak.)
- More brilliant reactions to Shirky’s rant: danah boyd, “whose voice do you hear?” and Jezebel, “3 Reasons Why Women Can’t Be More Like Men.”
- On similar themes, Work: Ur Doin It Rong, about men yet again telling women how they have to behave to be successful, and (trigger warning) Naomi Wolf explaining why complaining, even about clear sexual harassment or abuse, can harm more than it helps.
- On a lighter note, Female mathematicians in fiction.
- Nichelle Nichols tells her story about staying on Star Trek because Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. told her he was a fan of her role, and how important it was that she remain a role model.
If you have links of interest, please share them in comments here, or if you’re a delicious user, tag them “geekfeminism” to bring them to our attention. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links in comments and on delicious.